There is nothing that demonstrates competence, creativity and skill like whipping up a couple of cocktails for your lady friend. Best of all, it is really easy to learn how to do. Next time that special lady in your life comes around your house you will no doubt offer her a drink, why not make it something a little more interesting than a glass of wine or a beer. We all know ladies love cocktails, here are three that will almost certainly cover all tastes – after all not everyone loves a mojito…
The three cocktails we have chosen not only taste great, but they also allow for a little showmanship when you make them, which as you know can go a long way in wooing your lady friend. Third and finally all of these cocktails will engage not only the taste buds, but smell great and as long as you are making them right – not too alcoholic either! Perfect. So here they are:
1. The French 75
If elegance is what you are going for with your cocktail, then the French 75 fits the bill. It is served in a champagne flute, which it itself is fancy enough for most, but also contains that magic elixir that women seem to love – champagne. Beware though this drink can hit hard so sip them slow!
- 15ml of fresh lemon juice
- 1 bar spoon of granulated sugar
- 45ml of gin
- 75ml of champagne
- Add gin, simple syrup and lemon juice to a shaker filled with ice
- Shake for about 10-15 seconds.
- Strain into a champagne flute.
- Top off the whole mixture with Champagne.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
2. The Mojito
A more easy going, fun loving cocktail would be something like the Mojito. A real crowd pleaser, almost everyone likes a Mojito. This drink originated in Cuba and it is great to drink during a hot summers day. Either way, it is one of the most refreshing cocktails you can make, and its not to try hard, so if that’s what you are going for – this is your drink…
- 50ml dark rum
- A dash of sugar syrup or a bar spoon of granulated sugar
- 3-5 mint leaves
- 12.5ml lime juice
- Soda water
- Lime wedge for garnish
- Add mint to the bottom of a highball glass.
- Add in simple syrup or sugar and muddle with the mint.
- The key here is that you want to extract the essential oils from the mint without completely tearing it up. Your lady friend is going to be upset if she looks like she was eating grass after she drinks the cocktail.
- Add the rum, lime juice, and the ice, and then stir vigorously. No shaking with this cocktail.
- Top it all off with some soda water and garnish with a lime wedge, and maybe an extra sprig of mint.
3. The Cosmopolitan
You may have heard it being referred to as a Cosmo and this is it. There really isn’t much to it and it is probably one of the more simple cocktails to make but for whatever reason the ladies seem to love it. You can see why though, aside from it being pretty and pink it is a solid drink with a nice balance of flavours and if served in a proper cocktail saucer then it feels fun and elegant to drink. The flamed orange peel garnish is always a nice touch as well.
- 37.5ml of vodka
- 12.5ml of Cointreau
- 50ml of cranberry juice
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Flamed orange peel for garnish
- Add vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice and lime juice to a shaker full of ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds.
- Strain into the cocktail glass.
- Slice off a small piece of orange peel and perform a folded squeeze whilst igniting with a lighter. Add flamed orange peel to the glass for a nice smoky orange aroma.
You can’t go wrong with these three cocktails guys and if you are able to get through all three – then one way or another you are probably in for a memorable night – or not so memorable, it depends on how bad your hangover is!